Thursday, February 7, 2008

Winter work...

Over the course of the last weekends I have done some essential winter tasks. This included the obvious polishing of the outside of the hull. She was pretty dirty but because I do this regularly the black rainstripes and other dirt came off easy enough. I still have to do her topsides and set the whole in a layer of UV resistant wax to keep her going next season.

Another job was with the bed matrass in the owners cabin. To get some more ventilation I found a great solution on the Dusseldorf boatshow. It is a special weave of polyester fleece that lets air pass underneeth the matrass. It is very stiff to a spread load but compresses rather softly to a point load so it makes the bed a bit softer as well. Here are some pictures of what it looks like. I just cut it into shape with a pair of scissors. Looks nice, no?

They are doing lots of work in the harbour this winter. They are dredging the entire area to 3.2m deep at wither level which is great because with my 1.95m I do touch the mud sometimes in my birth. I took the dog out for a look at the dregework and he liked it so much that he leaped from the jetty into the Vecht River about 1.5m below four feet first with an amazing jump. No fear! I managed to drag him back by his neckcolor.

Another strange thing to see was divers and officers from the Dutch Crime Investigation Unit. They were looking on the IJsselmeer and diving in the 30m deep dredgepits for a body that went missing some time ago. Never a dull moment at the harbour!



No comments: